Monday, February 21, 2011

Blog Fail - Sorry!!!

I have proven to be a poor excuse of a blogger and have not written a new post for a month now.  I have been focusing my energy on posting my pictures to Facebook, which takes a surprising amount of time.

Here are some thoughts about what Katia & I have been doing for the past month:

-We went to a Bangla wedding (a clinician friend of mine got married) and we got to wear beatiful saris, bangles, earrings and hennaed our hands
-We ran a workshop on how to use the screening audiometers that we brought from Canada.  We taught local speech language therapists and students.
-I worked at the face paint table at CRP's Open Day (basically a big festival where the public comes to see CRP)
-We performed a traditional Bangla dance and a Western line dance (Cadillac Ranch, baby!!!) in front of a massive crowd, despite the fact that I had been puking a couple of hours before.
-We have worked with stroke patients at both the Savar and the Mirpur CRP sites, working on acquired language disorders, motor speech problems and swallowing disorders
-We went on a speech department retreat to the Chittagong area of Bangladesh where we went on an absolutely stunning boat ride, shopped, ate lunch in a restaurant hanging over the edge of a cliff (supported by bamboo stilts) and went to a Buddhist temple.
-We went on a tour of Old Dhaka - including a boat ride on the blackest/stinkiest river I have EVER seen and going to a Mother Teresa house for children where a class of children sang for us


THINGS I WILL HAVE TO RETRAIN MYSELF TO DO WHEN I'M BACK IN CANADA

-pass people on the right side (because they drive on the left side of the street they also veer to the left when passing each other on the sidewalk)
-flick the light switch up, not down
-say "SLP" not "SLT"


FINAL THOUGHTS:
I have one week left in Bangladesh and I have had a truly memorable time here.  I feel that I have made some true friends here and have had experiences that will stay with me for life.  I would love to come back here in a couple of years and teach the SLT students.


SLTs, SLT students & foreign volunteers on our trip to Chittagong area
How beautiful are they?

Bideshis at Shuvolong

Wheeeeeee!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment