Thursday, January 6, 2011

Rickshaw Rides & New Clothes!

The other day we went for our very first rickshaw ride.  We were heading to Savar Baazar to pick out fabric for our new shalwar kameez.  We were accompanied by Shemoly (sp?) who is the woman who takes care of us at the guesthouse.  She cooks amazing vegetable curries, chicken, rice, flatbread.... so delish!

I'm glad she was with us for our first ride so that we could learn the ropes.  Fitting 3 people on a rickshaw is tight, but it works when you know the secret configuration.  Then you hold on tight and off you go through the streets of Savar.  A rickshaw ride here costs only about 25 cents.

Then when we disembarked, we were faced with a new first - crossing a street in Bangladesh.  Again, it was so nice to have Shemoly there.  She literally held our hands the whole time and expertly guided us across the lines of cars, rickshaws and buses.

Inside Savar Bazaar (a shopping mall), Shemoly took us to a fabric store where they invited us to sit and point at the fabric that we would like to see.  With so many vibrant colours and intricate designs to choose from, it was a little overwhelming!!  But Katia & I both found some very nice fabric for our new outfits.  I splurged a little by buying some fabric that was a little more expensive (Shemoly commented that my musician husband must be very rich!!).
I'm really looking forward to having new clothes since I've been wearing the same shalwar kameez since I got here.

I'm off to attempt my first warm shower - you boil water on the stove, put it in a bucket, combine it with cold water to fill the bucket, then ladle it over yourself.  It should be a nice treat!

Then later today my supervisor arrives from Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment